2014 General Session of the Legislature now in progress
•”I have been impressed with Jake’s ability to work well with those of like and differing opinions to find practical solutions.” -Ken Sumsion
•Read Jake’s Endorsements
Voting Record for 2013
March 13, 2014
To view my complete voting record during the 2013 General Session of the Utah Legislature, click on 2013 General Session Voting Record. The 2014 General Session is coming to a close soon and I will post my record for this year when it becomes available.
Amendment 3 Defense Brief
February 28, 2014
The state of Utah is currently in a legal battle to defend Amendment 3, which defines marriage as between one man and one woman. To view the brief that the state submitted click here.
A Message from Jake on the 2014 Constituent Questionnaire
Thank you to everyone who took the time to fill out the 2014 Constituent Questionnaire. The responses help me to correctly represent your views. You have my renewed commitment to focus on working to continue to improve education throughout the state, foster a climate for steady economic growth and development, work to fund infrastructure improvements to meet our transportation needs, ensuring fiscal discipline throughout all levels of State Government, and safeguarding traditional family values. The following are the results of the questionnaire:
1) Do you support efforts to restore Utah’s constitutional definition of marriage back to being between one man and one woman?
Yes: 96% No: 3% Undecided: 1%
2) Would you support tax payer money to be spent on a Convention Hotel in Salt Lake City?
Yes: 11% No: 77% Undecided: 12%
3) Do you support replacing the caucus system with a direct Primary?
Yes: 43% No: 40% Undecided: 17%
4) Are you comfortable with the NSA having a presence in Utah?
Yes: 52% No: 35% Undecided: 13%
5) Would you support an increase for the age that one can legally buy cigarettes and other tobacco products from 19 to 21?
Yes: 63% No: 30% Undecided: 7%
6) Where do you stand in regards to a bill that would outlaw housing and employment discrimination based on sexual identity and orientation?
Strongly Supportive: 13% Supportive: 25% Neutral: 19% Opposed: 20% Strongly Opposed: 23%
7) How do you believe Utah should approach the Medicaid expansion funding? Opt-in: 12% No Opinion: 12% Opt-out: 76%
8) Would you support legislation that would make the Attorney General an appointed position? Yes: 32% No: 55% Undecided: 13%
9) Would you support a 3 percent tax increase on gasoline? Yes: 35% No: 56% Undecided: 9%
10) Today, over 50% of Utah’s budget is used to fund public schools. By 2022, it is estimated that 80% of Utah’s budget will be used in programs mandated by the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare). How would you handle this problem? Seize Federal Lands: 32% State Specific Solutions: 50% Cut Budgets: 3% Raise Taxes: 1% Not a Problem: 1% Other: 13%
11) Would you support a 36.5% salary increase for the Governor, Lt. Governor, Attorney General, Treasurer, and Auditor? Yes: 10% No: 80% Undecided: 10%
12) What do you believe are the most pressing issues facing our state? (Percentage that ranked the issue in their top 3)
Education: 67% Traditional Family: 49% Transportation: 19% Federal Lands/ State Rights: 34% Immigration: 24% Jobs: 61% Environment: 20% Taxes: 19% Other: 7%
13) On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being very poor and 10 being very well, how well do you feel that I represent our district?
1) 0.5% 2) 0% 3) 1% 4) 0.25% 5) 7% 6) 7% 7) 15% 8) 30% 9) 15% 10) 16% Unsure) 9%
14) Do you plan to attend your neighborhood caucus election this year on March 20th? Yes: 69% No: 12% Undecided: 19%
15) Do you plan to run for a precinct leadership position and/or state or county delegate? Yes: 5% No: 79% Undecided: 16%